If you have ever been to K BBQ restaurant, you must have heard of Bulgogi. Bulgogi is a Korean dish that means burnt meat. Bulgogi is made from thin slices of beef seasoned with a variety of ingredients that give Bulgogi its slightly smoky and sweet flavor.
How to make Bulgogi
Bulgogi does not require master chef skills. The first thing you have to do is buy your Bulgogi beef. You can buy Bulgogi beef that has been cut from Asian markets or you can also cut bulgogi meat yourself.
Serves: 4 Prep Time: 1H Cooking Time: 5 Minutes 5 Minutes
Nutrition facts: 200 calories 20 grams fat
( 1 voted )
- 800 g rib eye (1.76 pounds) or top sirloin (or any tender prime beef cut), thinly sliced, 2mm to 3mm (1/8 inch) thickness
- 1 onion (130 g / 4.6 ounces), optional, peeled & thinly sliced
- 2 stalks of green onion (55 g / 2 ounces), optional, thinly sliced
- 1/2 carrot (55 g / 2 ounces), optional, peeled & thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil (I used rice bran oil)
- 6 Tbsp soy sauce (I use regular Kikkoman soy sauce)
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp rice wine (mirin)
- 1 red apple or Asian pear (155 g / 5.5 ounces)
- 1/2 onion (80 g / 2.8 ounces)
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Blend the marinade ingredients in a mixer or food processor until smooth. Set aside.
- Place the thinly sliced meat in a mixing bowl and pour the marinade over it.
- Mix them well together while gently massaging the meat with your hands. (Wearing a food prep glove is very handy here!)
- Add the sesame oil and mix it into the meat. (I prefer adding the sesame oil separately as opposed to mixing it in the marinade sauce.
- Cover the bowl with cling wrap (or move the marinated meat into a glass container with a lid) and marinate the meat for at least 4 hours in the fridge. (If you have more time, you can also marinate it overnight to deepen the flavour even more).
- When you're ready to cook, preheat your grill, BBQ or pan to medium-high heat.
- Grill the salmon for about 3-4 minutes per side, until cooked through.
- Be careful not to overcook the salmon, as it can dry out quickly.
- Serve the salmon with some steamed rice and vegetables.
Did You Make This Recipe?
How you went with my recipes? Tag me on Pinterestat @SmallRecipe.